Friday, May 16, 2008

End of School Year Busy

I haven't posted in a while because it is the end of the school year and portfolios are due. Both of my children will be going on to the next grade, however they will have extra help and support in the areas they need to work on. My son's teacher called yesterday and we were able to clear some things up and find a way to simplify the writing process for him. This is great since the hold up on his writing is him not wanting to take the time to write all of his thoughts down. He has a wonderful imagination and has done very well on his poetry writing this week. A 10 year-old boys poems can be very interesting to say the least. I think he really likes that they can be as silly and nonsense as he likes.
My daughter has struggled in her reading all along. She is going on to the next grade because they don't believe it will help to hold her back again. I called Sis Lori P and she gave me some wonderful advice. It is working very well, Thanks so much!! Sometimes I just need to remind myself that her reading may bloom later and that it will be as well with her than as it could be now. She loves stories and has a very inquisitive mind and great comprehension. I just can't wait for the day that the light bulb comes on for her. I see flickers of it from time to time so I'm sure the day is nearing ever closer.
Well back to the school day..............

8 comments:

Cherrie said...

You sound like a busy woman. I am sure your little girl will get it soon. Once that light clicks on you will be amazed.

Sis. Lori P. said...

I admire your care and love for your children and how you are trying so hard to do good in their lives. My prayers will be for you this summer as you all relax and enjoy family time together...

meNmykids said...

All kids are different in how and when they learn. It is rewarding and stressful to teach them. Glad your summer is here!

Jules said...

It does get super busy at the end of the year! It's crazy for me also. My kids' last day is May 29th. I don't know about you, but I'm ready for summer break ;)

Sis Stubby said...

I so remember school years with my kids. I know you look forward to school be out .I did not home school mine .I wish now I had. It would hve been better for them.
But when the light comes on watch out she will do wonderful.

Chantel H said...

I am a firm believer that each child learns at their own pace. I'm sure your daughter will just take off in reading one of these days. The hard part is being patient until then.

Sis. Lori P. said...

http://www.thehomeschoolmagazine.com/SummerReading/

Hi again... I found this on an email I get from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine...which is a Christian based homeschool magazine that I LOVE! Anyway, it's a summer reading program they are launching and it looks interesting!

Sister D said...

Your care for your children is precious and I know God will guide you. I can't count how many times not knowing what to do in their lives has brought me to my knees. But our Lord always knows just the right thing needed for each one. Talking to others Sisters is a great comfort too. Happy Summer :)I used to love reading that magazine Lori just posted too!