Friday, March 6, 2009

Happy Birthday Sam

Sam your 9 years old now. Boy how the time has flown. I remember when you were a small baby that couldn't and didn't want to eat. The daily diaries I kept of every little morsel that went into your mouth. The support and encouragement from my dear "Mothers" in the faith. When you were very first born the Lord showed me that it would be important for you to have many "mothers" and "grandmothers" in the faith. I just didn't know how much I would rely on them myself....
I remember your first steps. Done secretly when I wasn't looking, just like your mama many years before.
The struggle to "know" you. How do I get to know you. That was question I asked my aunties. After a boy a girl was much different. I think that I know and love you well now......for the moment.
The love and compassion that you have in your heart for all of God's creatures. The mothering instinct that naturally draws animals to you.........and your brother late at night. He knows that no matter what time of the day or night he can always come to you for a listening ear and sympathy.
The changes that we see in you. The glimpses of the beautiful young lady you are becoming. Many times I catch myself wanting to grab you and make the clock stop. The beauty and love in your eyes, that for today are for us, but soon.....to soon.....will be for another.
The constant prayer for guidance. How to teach you to be an upright and virtuous woman. The gladness in our hearts when we see our instructions take root. And then a moment later the sadness that one day you will be making a home somewhere else. But yet even gladness than because when letting you go we will be making room in our hearts for more love.
This year it seems that you have grown in many different ways. Intellectual, spiritual, physical, and emotional. Your like a butterfly that we would like to catch, but can't. So instead we just watch.......and wonder at the beauty God is creating in you. Outward beauty yes, but more importantly inward beauty.

3 comments:

meNmykids said...

Lovely!

Tish said...

It took me awhile to figure out you were talking about your daughter. I was wondering who Sam was, but I know why you did it, and I know who it's about. What a beautiful post!

Cyndi said...

Such sweet little memories you have of your little one. I guess at nine, she isn't so little anymore.