Friday, November 2, 2007

Pumpkin the Cheaty Way

The last time I put up pumpkin I cooked it all day long and it did not get fully cooked even then. That was after cleaning the pumpkin out, gutting it, and cutting it up into many small pieces. Needless to say it has been many years since I put up pumpkin.
Today while I was on the phone with my mom I remembered a real easy way to cook squash that an older sister told me one time. So I cut the pumpkin in half, gutted it, washed it, turned the 2 halves upside down on a sprayed cookie sheet, put in a 350 degree oven and went on about school work and errands. When I had time to deal with it again, about an hour and half or so later, IT WAS DONE!!! I drained most of the juice off of the pan, peeled the skin right off, put it in a bowl with some of the juice, mashed it and it is ready to go!!! YEAH!!!
This was just a Med-small pumpkin and it made 4-5 quarts. I have 3 small, 1 med, and a green squash left to cook. Now all I have to do is figure out how to put it up and what to do with all of it. LOL! I know what people are getting for Christmas this year. (;

5 comments:

Trina said...

That is awesome!! I am a pumpkin fanatic!! I seriously love it! I used to buy pumpkin chais at the espresso stand up in washington. It wasn't pumpkin syrup that they added, it was the real thing, straight pumpkin added into my hot chai. Oh I miss that! *drooling!*

marykathryn said...

Wow..I am impressed!! I have actually never put pumpkin up so that is very interesting info..Thanks!:-)

meNmykids said...

I'm doing pumpkin this week too. Same way. I'm hoping we find some new pumpkin recipes this year to use it all. 163 lbs. (sigh). One that I love is pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Awesome.

Tish said...

That does sound like an easier way to cook pumpkin. I never had a problem with the pumpkin not getting done, but I had a hard time getting all the juice drained out. This way sounds like most of the juice ends up on the pan. Matt's favorite kind of pumpkin pie is with fresh pumpkin. I'll have to try this way of cooking it.

Mom of 3, Aunt of 16 said...

Trina-that sounds delicious. Gale-I'd love to have that recipe. Tisha- how about I bring some of this pumpkin to you on Monday?